When the boundaries of Sherwood Forest were defined in the early 13th century it was necessary to document these new boundaries (see boundaries page for more information).
This was undertaken by perambulation - literally a walking of the boundaries.
A number of perambulations are recorderd from Medieval Sherwood Forest.
All of these begin in the northeast corner of the forest at a place called Cuningeswath.
This name is old Scandinavian for King's (Cuninges) wade (wath) or ford.
All perambulations from 1218 onwards begin at this ford.
The ford is on the King's road to York, where it fords the river Meden. This ford is overlooked by Bothamsall Castle (see Bothamsall Castle entry)- a conquest Motte and Bailey fortification belonging to the king.
Could this King's ford on the King's Highway overlooked by the King's Caslte have been part of the boundary of the original Norman Forest?