Funding has been secured for fieldwalking at the site of St Edwin’s Chapel in Sherwood Forest in August 2014.
Fieldwalking was undertaken by Mercian and volunteers at the site of St Edwin’s Chapel in Sherwood Forest in August 2014.
The fieldwork was designed to investigate a number of key research questions, and was a free community event to anyone wishing to come and be involved in researching this excellent and mysterious site.
Results will appear here as they become available…
Visitors since 7th November 2013
Mercian Archaeological Services CIC
Community Archaeology in the East Midlands,
Community Archaeology Nottinghamshire, Excavation, Research, Volunteering, Community
Archaeology Derbyshire, Training, Social, Learning, Community Archaeology Leicestershire,
Heritage, Involvement, Belonging, Knowledge sharing, Community Archaeology Lincolnshire,
Topographic Survey, Talks and Presentations, Outreach, Archaeology Projects , Open
Days, Schools, Finds Processing, Day Schools, Field Schools, Young People, Archaeology
and History of Sherwood Forest, Pottery Research, Medieval, Roman, Prehistoric, Community
Interest Company, Community Archaeology Nottinghamshire.
In 1201 King John paid an annual stipend of 4 shillings to the hermit of Clipstone who sang in St Edwin's Chapel in Birchwude (Birklands Wood).
The chapel at that time was part of the landscape of Royal Deer Park and Palace of the King's Houses (now known as King John's Palace) that were the royal heart of Medieval Sherwood Forest.
The location of the chapel was marked on the 1630 map of Clipstone made by William Senior of William Cavendish Earl of Newcastle.
The location is now marked on the ground by an iron cross erected in 1912 by the Duke of Portland.
It is believed that the chapel may well be significantly older than the earliest recorded reference from the reign of King John.
In the year 633AD; Edwin the recently converted Christian King of Northumbria was killed at the Battle of Heathfield by Penda King of Mercia and his Welsh allies.
Although listed as being in Doncaster there is much evidence that the battle was in the Hatfield area around the village of Cuckney 3 miles to the north of this cross. Hatfield was the western division of the Wapentake of Bassetlaw, which made up the northern part of Nottinghamshire and included parts of Sherwood Forest.
There is also the neighbouring village to Clipstone; Edwinstowe which is believed to translate as the Holy Place of St Edwin.
Did this site belong to an earlier cult of St Edwin, who died in battle in these parts 1380 years ago?
The cross can be visited via footpath along the northern boundary of Clipstone parish.
Picture: Inscribed stone at St. Edwin’s Chapel, Clisptone, Sherwood Forest
Funding for this years first stage of fieldwork including fieldwalking and geophysical survey was part funded by donations from local company Only Solutions LLP. We would like to thank our kind sponsors who are part of the community of Sherwood Forest and who work to support this fantastic community and landscape.
Feedback from the project sponsors:
“Only Solutions LLP are proud to announce our part sponsorship of the Fieldwalking and Geophysics at St.Edwins Chapel this week. Wonderful research whose time has come. We encourage local businesses and community groups to consider sponsoring the Sherwood Archaeology Project... making a future for Sherwood’s amazing past.
Thanks Mercian Archeological Services CIC for rooting your energy in our Landscape.”